Assumed Business Name Filing (DBA)
Who needs to register under the Assumed Business Name (DBA) Act?
Illinois law requires that individuals conducting or transacting a business under any name other than the real names of the owners must file an Assumed Name Certificate with the County Clerk in the county in which the business is located. This requirement includes registration for sole proprietorships and general partnerships.
Other types of business registration
- If the business will be incorporated, a corporation, or an LLC, you must file with the Illinois Secretary of State.
- Contact the city or village in which the business is located for local licensing requirements.
- Special Use Permits may be required for home based businesses in Will County. Contact the Will County Building and Zoning Department at (815) 727-8850.
- Contractors and sub-contractors must be registered with the Will County Building Department. To view information about the Contractor Registration application click here.
- All plumbers and electricians must be licensed with the State of Illinois.
How to file
- Carefully read the instructions for submitting the Assumed Business Name Application.
- The application is filed in the Will County Clerk’s Office along with a $5.00 filing fee.
- Assumed Name Publication Notice will be issued to the owner(s) at that time.
- Notice is published in a general circulation Will County Newspaper.
- After publishing, it is the responsibility of the business owner to make sure the newspaper submits Publisher’s Certificate to County Clerk within 50 days from the date of filing.
- Business is issued Certificate of Ownership of Business. This completes all the Assumed Name filing requirements.
What if there are changes in the business information?
If there are any changes in the business address, ownership or owners address, it is necessary to file a Supplemental Assumed Business Name Application with the County Clerk’s Office indicating the change. There is no additional filing fee; however, publication is required when the change affects 25% or more of the total ownership.
For more information on filing an Assumed Business Name Application contact the County Clerk’s Office at (815) 740-4660.
|You will need a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view, download, or print these documents. Click the Acrobat icon to go to the download page on Adobe's website.