Assumed Business Name Filing (DBA)
Who needs to register under the Assumed Business Name (DBA) Act?
Illinois law requires that individuals conducting or transacting a business under any name other than the real names of the owners must file an Assumed Name Certificate with the County Clerk in the county in which the business is located. This requirement includes registration for sole proprietorships and general partnerships.
Other types of business registration
- If the business will be incorporated, a corporation, or an LLC, you must file with the Illinois Secretary of State.
- Contact the city or village in which the business is located for local licensing requirements.
- Special Use Permits may be required for home based businesses in Will County. Contact the Will County Building and Zoning Department at (815) 727-8850.
- General contractors and sub-contractors doing construction work in un-incorporated areas of Will County must be registered with the Will County Building Department. To view information about the Contractor Registration application click here.
- All plumbers must be licensed with the State of Illinois.
- Massage Therapists – Unincorporated Will County ONLY – Refer them to the state for their license (217) 782-9520 -or- (217) 785-0800. They also need to review the Will County Code of Ordinances: Chapter 118: Bath Houses and Massage Parlors.
- Women owned, minority owned businesses – getting a WBE Certification Number, call (312) 814-4190.
- Non-Profit Organizations need to file with the Illinois Secretary of State.
- Food or Daycare businesses will need to contact the Will County Health Department for inspections. (815) 740-7332
- Liquor Licenses contact the Will County Executive’s Office. (815) 740-3760
- Door-to-Door Solicitor’s License contact the Will County Executive’s Office (815) 740-3760
|You will need a copy of the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view, download, or print these documents. Click the Acrobat icon to go to the download page on Adobe's website.