The Illinois Governmental Ethics Act, 5 ILCS 420 / 4A-101, requires certain local government officials and employees to file a Statement of Economic Interests by May 1st of every year with the County Clerk of the county in which the principal office of the unit of government with which the person is associated is located, not in the county in which you reside.
For additional information regarding who is required to file, please click to view Article 4A-101 of the Illinois Governmental Ethics Act.
5 Simple Steps for Completing the Statement of Economic Interests
1. List all office(s)/position(s) and entities for which you are required to file with the County Clerk. It is not necessary to complete a separate form for each office/position/entity.
What if I am no longer in that position(s)?
If you no longer hold this position, please write “No longer in position” across the top and return to the Will County Clerk’s Office and contact your entity. Please keep in mind if a person holds a position that requires them to file in any part of the current year they will still be required to file.
What if the position I hold is incorrect or changed?
Please contact your entity for assistance. Corrections and/or additions can be made to the Statement of Economic Interests by the office holder.
2. Please provide your residence address on the form – not a business address.
3. You are required to answer questions 1 through 8. If any of the questions do not apply to you, please answer with n/a or none.
Who can help me interpret or assist me with answering the questions?
Any assistance you require to answer the questions is considered legal advice. Please contact your entity or the State’s Attorney’s Office for assistance.
4. Please sign and date on the reverse side of the form under the Verfication Section.
5. Do not detach the receipt, which is the bottom portion of the form. This will serve as your receipt and will be mailed back to you once we have placed your Statement of Economic Interests on file.
What if I do not receive a receipt after filing?
If you have not received your receipt within 2 weeks from the date you sent in the form, it is your responsibility to contact the Will County Clerk’s Office at (815) 740-4628 or (815) 740-4629 or email email@example.com.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Your unit of government submitted your name and address to the Will County Clerk’s Office requiring you to file a Statement of Economic Interests for the current calendar year. Section 5 ILCS 420/4A-101 of the Ethics Act specifies who is required to file.
If you have any questions why your name was submitted, please contact the entity listed on your form directly.
The Illinois Governmental Ethics Act requires you to file an original Statement of Economic Interests with the County Clerk’s Office. The County Clerk’s Office will not accept faxes or digital copies. Please file by mail or in-person at the Will County Clerk’s Office.
Will County Clerk
Attn: Ethics Department
302 North Chicago St.
Joliet, IL 60432
The Illinois Governmental Ethics Act requires certain local government officials and employees to file a Statement of Economic Interests by May 1st of each calendar year with the County Clerk of the county in which the principal office of the unit of government with which the person is associated is located, not in the county in which you reside.
Persons who fail to file by May 1st are subject to a $15 late filing fee. Those who fail to file by May 15th are subject to a $100 per day penalty in addition to the $15 late filing fee. Failure to file within the time prescribed may result in forfeiture of office or position of employment.
The statements are open to the public during normal business hours. Please contact (815) 740-4627 or (815) 740-4629 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
To view or obtain a statement, a written request must be submitted:
2. Show a valid driver’s license.
3. Submit your written request in person, by fax (815) 740-4699 or email at email@example.com.
Black and White copies (legal or letter size): No fee for the first 50 pages, $0.15 for each additional printed page.