Referendum Filing

Two primary methods for placing a question before the voters is by resolution of the governing board for a taxing district or by petition signed by voters in the district.

  • Resolutions are certified by the local election official to the County Clerk.
  • Public question petitions are filed with the local election official who certifies the question to the County Clerk.  When a public question has been passed by a governing board resolution and filed with the County Clerk by the local election official, a ballot proof is sent to the election official for approval.  Please be aware that any revision in the actual referendum text as certified must by adopted by board action and recertified with the County Clerk by the legal filing deadline.

Specific questions about legal requirements for preparing a resolution or petition should be referred to competent legal counsel for the local unit of government, as the County Clerk’s Office cannot give legal advice or refer to Article 28 of the Election Code.  For more information contact us or call (815) 740-4615.