Marriage licenses obtained in Will County may not be used in any other county. Both applicants must apply in person for the marriage license. A license to marry becomes effective in the county where it was issued one (1) day after the date of issuance (unless the court orders the license is effective when issued) and expires sixty (60) days after it becomes effective.
Please note: The application process takes 15 minutes and the Will County Office Building closes at 4:30 PM. Applicants must arrive no later than 4:15 PM.
– Must be 18 years of age
– Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age may marry in Illinois. Both parents or legal guardians must be present and sign a consent form at the time of the license application. Parental consent forms are available from the Clerk’s office. Valid identification and the original birth record are required for applicants under the age of 18.
IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS – Both applicants must present identification and proof of age.
– Certified copy of birth certificate (with a raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal) OR valid passport
– Plus 1 additional ID that is not expired, which lists name and date of birth (ex. Driver’s License, State ID or Active Military ID)
Any documents presented in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation. We suggest a translator be present if you do not speak, read or understand English.
PREVIOUS MARRIAGES/CIVIL UNIONS – We must know how a previous marriage or civil union ended.
– Death Certificate: Certified Copy
– Divorce Decree/Dissolution: Certified copy if the event occurred within the last year. Photocopy if event occured over one year ago.
WHERE TO APPLY
– Will County Clerk’s Office – 302 N. Chicago Street, Joliet 60432: Monday- Friday 8:30 AM – 4:15 PM, No appointment necessary
License Fee – $28 check or cash only
– Satellite Offices by appointment ONLY
License Fee – $28 cash only
- Crete Township Office – 1367 Wood Street, Crete – (708)672-8279
- DuPage Township Office – 241 Canterbury Lane, Bolingbrook – (630)759-1317
- Plainfield Township Office – 22525 W. Lockport Street, Plainfield – (815)436-8308
MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATION – Fill out, print and bring it with when you apply for the license
– Both applicants must fill out a form
Judges are available to perform marriage ceremonies at the following times (no appointment is necessary and witnesses are not required.) $10.00 Cash fee only must be exact change. Prior to getting married by a Judge, couples must obtain their marriage license from the County Clerk’s office.
Monday – Friday 11:00 AM to 11:45 AM and 3:00 PM to 3:45 PM Courtroom 212
Saturday 9:00 AM to 11:00 AM (8:30 AM to sign in) Courtroom 111
Will County Courthouse: 14 W. Jefferson Street, Joliet 60432
For further information on Judge Services, please call the Court Administrator’s Office at 815-727-8540.