Birth Certificates

The County Clerk is the official record keeper of births which occur in Will County.  If you were born outside of Will County, please contact the county in which the birth took place.

Birth certificates are not public records due to privacy rights and fraud prevention, and only the following are entitled to receive certified copies:

  • The person named on the record if 18 years or older
  • The parent(s) shown on the record (not step-parents)
  • A legal guardian or legal representative of the child providing written evidence of guardianship or legal representation
  • For Genealogy purposes record must be 75 years or older.  Records start in December 1877.

In person at:  Will County Clerk’s Office – 302 N. Chicago Street, Joliet 60432:  Monday- Friday: 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM

  • Must have a valid photo id**
  • Fees are payable in cash, check, or credit/debit (service fee applied)
  • All documents are certified with raised Will County Seal
  • Documents are made while you wait, usually within 10 minutes

By mail:  fill in & print out the birth certificate request form, include a copy of valid identification** along with payment (Mailed back within 48 hours)

Online: through VitalChek (All requests leave our office the same day requested by UPS if received before 2:30 PM CST)

No birth certificates can be faxed or emailed

If not provided, unreadable or expired, the mail in request will be returned unprocessed.
– Illinois Driver’s License
– Illinois State Identification Card
– Out-of-State Driver’s License or ID Card
– U.S. Military Identification Card
– U.S. Naturalization Certificate
– U.S. Passport

WHAT ARE THE FEES: (payable in cash, check or money order)
$9.00 for one certified copy
$4.00 for additional certified copies of the same record issued at same time
PLEASE NOTE:  Any certificate(s) ordered through VitalChek, pay additional fees.

Submit TWO documents with your name, one of which must show your current address, that proves your identity
ONE piece of documentation can be a bill or piece of mail
The other piece of documentation must be one of the following items listed below:

  • Medical/car insurance card
  • Car registration paperwork
  • Credit card statement
  • Bank statement
  • Paycheck stub with imprinted information
  • Public assistance card
  • Voter’s registration card

If your driver’s license is expired, but you have an extension sticker on the back of it, you must submit a copy of both sides.
We will accept a driver’s license that is no more than six months expired ALONG WITH one more piece of proof from the above list.
If you are currently incarcerated, you can submit a dated copy of your prison intake/offender summary sheet containing your photo.
If you are writing from a state or federal agency, you can submit a copy of your work badge.


You can request the birth certificate by writing to:
Will County Clerk
Attn: Vital Records
302 N. Chicago Street
Joliet IL 60432

The letter must be clear and legible including the following information:

  • Child’s full name at birth
  • Date of birth
  • City and county where the birth occurred (including hospital, if known)
  • Name of the parent(s) shown on the record, including the mother’s maiden name
  • Your return address and phone number
  • Your written signature

Include with the letter

  • A money order or check made payable to the Will County Clerk’s Office
  • A legible/readable copy of your valid photo identification card**
Homeless person born in Will County, who can be verified by a human services agency, legal services agency, or other similar agency that has knowledge of the individual’s housing status, can receive a birth certificate at no cost from the Will County Clerk’s Office. (By law, a homeless person shall be provided with no more than 4 birth certificates annually.)

Illinois birth certificates can also be obtained through the Illinois Department of Public Heath, Division of Vital Records.  They can be reached at (217) 782-6553: Monday-Friday from 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM.

For more information about Vital Record services contact us.