The County Clerk’s Office can provide you with a Will County marriage and civil union certificate if the ceremony took place within Will County. (This information is if the ceremony already took place. See Marriages/Civil Union Licenses if you are having your ceremony in Will County.)
Parents of either spouse/partner
Children of either spouse/partner
When deemed in the public interest – not for purpose of commercial solicitation or private gain
Private agencies (hospitals, public news media, abstract and title companies, credit bureaus) must get written approval from the State Registrar before the document can be released
For Genealogy purposes marriage records began in July 1836, civil unions began January 1, 2012. Applications must be 50 years or older
HOW TO OBTAIN
Due to limited public access: People seeking certified copies of Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificates, or Death Certificates will be directed to make requests by telephone, email, U.S. Mail, or online.
- Telephone requests may be made by calling (815) 740-4615.
- Email requests may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
By mail: fill in & print out the marriage/civil union certificate request form, include a copy of valid identification** along with payment (Mailed back within 48 hours)
Online: through VitalChek (All requests leave our office the same day requested by UPS if received before 2:30 PM CST)
No marriage/civil union certificates can be faxed or emailed
– Illinois Driver’s License
– Illinois State Identification Card
– Out-of-State Driver’s License or ID Card
– U.S. Military Identification Card
– U.S. Naturalization Certificate
– U.S. Passport
WHAT ARE THE FEES:
$9.00 for one certified copy
$4.00 for additional certified copies of the same record issued at the same time
PLEASE NOTE: Any certificate(s) ordered through VitalChek, pay additional fees.
ONE piece of documentation can be a bill or piece of mail
The other piece of documentation must be one of the following items listed below:
- Medical/car insurance card
- Car registration paperwork
- Credit card statement
- Bank statement
- Paycheck stub with imprinted information
- Public assistance card
- Voter’s registration card
If your driver’s license is expired, but you have an extension sticker on the back of it, you must submit a copy of both sides.
We will accept a driver’s license that is no more than six months expired ALONG WITH one more piece of proof from the above list.
If you are currently incarcerated, you can submit a dated copy of your prison intake/offender summary sheet containing your photo.
If you are writing from a state or federal agency, you can submit a copy of your work badge.
SOCIAL SECURITY CARDS ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE.
Will County Clerk
Attn: Vital Records
302 N. Chicago Street
Joliet IL 60432
The letter must be clear and legible including the following information:
- Bride/partner’s full name
- Groom/partner’s full name
- Date of marriage/civil union
- City and county where the marriage/civil union occurred, if known
- Your return address and phone number
- Your written signature
Include with the letter
- A money order or check made payable to the Will County Clerk’s Office
- A legible/readable copy of your valid photo identification card**