Marriage & Civil Union Licenses

Marriage licenses obtained in Will County may not be used in any other county.  Both applicants must apply in person for the marriage license.  A license to marry becomes effective in the county where it was issued one (1) day after the date of issuance (unless the court orders the license is effective when issued) and expires sixty (60) days after it becomes effective.

Please note:  The application process takes 15 minutes and the Will County Office Building closes at 4:30 PM.  Applicants must arrive no later than 4:15 PM.

Must be 18 years of age
Applicants who are 16 or 17 years of age may marry in Illinois.  Both parents or legal guardians must be present and sign a consent form at the time of the license application.  Parental consent forms are available from the Clerk’s office.  Valid identification and the original birth record are required for applicants under the age of 18.

IDENTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS – Both applicants must present identification and proof of age.
Certified copy of birth certificate (with a raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal) OR valid passport
Plus 1 additional ID that is not expired, which lists name and date of birth (ex. Driver’s License, State ID or Active Military ID)

Any documents presented in a foreign language must be accompanied by a certified English translation.  We suggest a translator be present if you do not speak, read or understand English.

PREVIOUS MARRIAGES/CIVIL UNIONS – We must know how a previous marriage or civil union ended.
Death Certificate:  Certified Copy
Divorce Decree/Dissolution:  Certified copy if the event occurred within the last year.  Photocopy if event occurred over one year ago.

Will County Clerk’s Office – 302 N. Chicago Street, Joliet 60432:  Monday- Friday 8:30 AM – 4:15 PM,  No appointment necessary

License Fee – $28 check, cash, or credit/debit (service fee applied)

Satellite Offices by appointment ONLY
   License Fee – $28 cash only

      • Crete Township Office – 1367 Wood Street, Crete –  (708)672-8279
      • DuPage Township Office – 241 Canterbury Lane, Bolingbrook – (630)759-1317
      • Plainfield Township Office – 22525 W. Lockport Street, Plainfield – (815)436-8308
        Plainfield Township Office is unable to issue marriage and civil union licenses during renovations in October 2019.

MARRIAGE LICENSE APPLICATION – Fill out, print and bring it with when you apply for the license
Both applicants must fill out a form

CIVIL UNION APPLICATION – Fill out, print and bring it with when you apply for the license
Both applicants must fill out a form


Judges are available to perform marriage ceremonies at the following times (no appointment is necessary and witnesses are not required.)  $10.00 Cash fee only must be exact change.  Prior to getting married by a Judge, couples must obtain their marriage license from the County Clerk’s office.

Monday – Friday                     11:00 AM to 11:45 AM and 3:00 PM to 3:45 PM                     Courtroom 212
Saturday                                   Must arrive by 8:30 AM                                                          Courtroom 111

Will County Courthouse:  14 W. Jefferson Street, Joliet 60432

For further information on Judge Services, please call the Court Administrator’s Office at 815-727-8540.


Civil ceremonies by a Judge of the Court who is in good standing with the Judicial Inquiry Board or retired judge.  A ceremony may be solemnized by a priest, minister, rabbi, or other designated officiant provided they are in good standing with their religious denomination, Indian Tribe, or Native Group.

For more information on Marriage/Civil Union Licenses contact us or call (815) 740-4626.