Certificates of births that occurred in Will County are available through the Will County Clerk’s Office.
Birth Certificates may be requested by:
- The individual named in the record, if that person is at least 18 years old.
- A parent listed on the record.
- A legal guardian or legal representative of the individual named in the record, upon submission of appropriate proof of guardianship or legal representation.
- Any individual for the purposes of genealogical research, provided the requested record is at least 75 years old.
These forms may be submitted in person or by mail at the following address:
Attn: Vital Records
Will County Clerk’s Office
302 N. Chicago St.
Joliet, IL 60432
These form also may be submitted by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
EXPRESS ONLINE ORDERING THROUGH VITALCHEK
Expedited processing and shipping is available through our third-party partner, VitalChek. Please visit their website, vitalchek.com for information. Additional fees apply.
FEES, PAYMENT OPTIONS
Birth Certificates are $9 for one certified copy.
Additional certified copies of the same record are $4 each if requested at the same time.
- In person requests may be paid for by cash, personal check, money order or credit/debit.
- Requests by mail must be accompanied by a personal check or money order.
- For e-mailed requests, a member of our Vital Records team will contact you upon receipt to arrange credit/debit payment over the phone. IMPORTANT: Please do not include credit card information in your e-mail.
VALID FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION
The Will County Clerk’s Office will accept one of the following forms of ID:
- Driver’s License or State ID Card issued by any U.S. State
- U.S. Passport
- Foreign Passport
- U.S. Military Identification Card
- U.S. Naturalization Certificate
If you cannot provide one of the above forms of ID, you may provide TWO of the items on the following list. ONE of the items must show your current address. Only ONE of the items may be a bill or piece of mail:
- Utility Bill
- Medical or Automobile Insurance Card
- Vehicle Registration
- Credit Card or Bank Statement
- Pay Stub
- Voter Registration Card
- Public Assistance Card
Social Security Cards are NOT an acceptable form of identification.
FEE WAIVER FOR HOMELESS INDIVIDUALS
By law, homeless individuals born in Illinois are entitled to request a free certified copy of their birth records from the County in which they were born. The individual’s homeless status must be verified by a human services agency, legal services agency, or any other similar agency
Birth records for births occurring anywhere in Illinois can be requested through the Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records at dph.illinois.gov/.
For more information on birth certificates email email@example.com or call (815) 740-4615.