Certificates of deaths that occurred in Will County are available through the Will County Clerk’s Office.
Death Certificates may be requested by:
- Immediate relatives of the deceased, including a spouse, parent, child, or sibling.
- Any individual, or that person’s duly authorized agent, with a personal or property right interest in the record who can supply documentation demonstrating the need for the record from a requesting agency.
- Any individual for the purposes of genealogical research, provided the requested record is at least 20 years old.
HOW TO OBTAIN A DEATH CERTIFICATE
All requests must be accompanied by a valid form of identification.
Walk in during business hours. Most requests can be processed within just a few minutes.
Requests may also be submitted electronically. Electronic requests are for credit card payments only. Please DO NOT include credit card information on your form. Once the form is submitted, please call (815) 740-4659 to provide credit card information.
EXPRESS ONLINE ORDERING THROUGH VITALCHEK
Expedited processing and shipping is available through our third-party partner, VitalChek. Please visit their website for information. Additional fees apply.
VitalChek – vitalchek.com
FEES, PAYMENT OPTIONS
Death Certificates are $13 for one certified copy.
Additional certified copies of the same record are $8 each if requested at the same time.
- In person requests may be paid for by cash, personal check, money order or credit/debit.
- Requests by mail must be accompanied by a personal check or money order.
- For electronic requests, call (815) 740-4659 to provide credit/debit payment over the phone. IMPORTANT: Please do not include credit card information.
VALID FORMS OF IDENTIFICATION
The Will County Clerk’s Office will accept one of the following forms of ID:
- Driver’s License or State ID Card issued by any U.S. State
- U.S. Passport
- Foreign Passport
- U.S. Military Identification Card
- U.S. Naturalization Certificate
If you cannot provide one of the above forms of ID, you may provide TWO of the items on the following list. ONE of the items must show your current address. Only ONE of the items may be a bill or piece of mail:
- Utility Bill
- Medical or Automobile Insurance Card
- Vehicle Registration
- Credit Card or Bank Statement
- Pay Stub
- Voter Registration Card
- Public Assistance Card
Social Security Cards are NOT an acceptable form of identification.
Death records for deaths occurring anywhere in Illinois can be requested through the Illinois Department of Public Health, Division of Vital Records: dph.illinois.gov/
For more information on death certificates email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (815) 740-4615.